Residence Life

Residence Life FAQs

Is housing guaranteed for all students?

Housing is guaranteed for all new first year students who meet application and deposit deadlines. Housing is available for upper-class students through the housing lottery process held during the spring semester.

Where is College Housing Located?

Housing is located at our Brookline campus, or at one of our residence hall locations in Coolidge Corner or Audubon Circle.

What types of housing are available?

Newbury College offers a variety of different housing options which include: single (upper-class only), double, triple, or quad rooms.

How do I apply for on-campus housing as a new student?

Once you have been accepted by the College, you will be asked to pay a non-refundable housing deposit in addition to the tuition deposit. You are required to fill out an online housing application form with your deposit. This document will be used for housing placement by the Office of Residence Life.

How are new student housing assignments determined?

A variety of factors are considered when assigning students to housing. Assignments are made based upon the date in which the deposit has been received by the Office of Admissions. While requests and application information are taken into consideration during the placement process, we may not be able to honor all requests.

When will I receive my housing assignment?

Housing assignment information including location and roommate(s) contact information will be sent out via your Newbury College email when your fall bill is paid in full beginning on Friday, August 7, 2015. All fall bill payments are due by Friday, July 31, 2015.

Can I request a specific roommate?

Yes, you may request a specific roommate but it's strongly recommended that you live with someone you don't know. In Residence Life we believe in learning outside of the classroom, and living with someone completely new is a great opportunity to meet new people. Roommate requests can be made on the Roommate Profile and Questionnaire.
Roommate requests must be mutual. Requests will only be considered if both roommates request one another. We will try our best to honor your request but make no guarantee the match will/or can be made.

What furniture is provided in the room?

Each room is furnished with a twin bed (extra long), desk with desk chair, dresser, closet or wardrobe for each occupant of the room. All mattresses are twin extra long.

Is wireless internet access available in the residence halls?

Yes, all of our residence halls are equipped with wireless internet access! If you are having any technical difficulties please contact the Office of Residence Life.

Is cable television available in the residence halls?

Cable availability varies depending on the residence hall you live in. When you receive your housing information packet you will also receive information on what cable options are available. All residence halls have some form of cable television availability.

Can I bring my own furniture?

Due to reasons such as cleanliness, bed bugs and fire safety; outside furniture such as couches/sofas, futons, bean bags or comfortable/cushion chairs are prohibited. Please contact the Office of Residence Life if you have questions regarding furniture.

What is my mailing address?

Your Name
Box Number (Given during move in)
129 Fisher Ave.
Brookline, MA 02445

What is my meal plan option?

All resident students are on a declining balance meal plan. For more detailed information please visit

How much does it cost to live in campus housing?

The cost of living on campus can vary based upon which room type you've been assigned: 
Single Room $15,600
Double Room $13,740
Triple or Quad Room $13,350

What is the damage deposit versus the housing deposit?
All residents must pay a $150.00 damage deposit. Students who have an outstanding balance with the College will have any damage refunds credited to their balance. Damage deposits are refunded to students in the summer following the year they resided in campus housing, minus any costs for damage.

A Housing Deposit is a non-refundable deposit that reserves you a space in the residence halls. Your housing deposit will be credited towards your bill. If you decide to not live in campus housing after you have paid your non-refundable deposit, the deposit will not be credited towards your account.

If I'm having a problem on campus, what should I do?

You are encouraged to speak with your Resident Assistant (RA). RAs are students who are very knowledgeable and are trained to assist students with a variety of problems or concerns. A professional Resident Director or another Student Affairs staff member such as the Director of Residence Life and Community Standards, Director of Counseling and Health Education and the Dean of Student Affairs is also always available for assistance. We are here to help! Please ask!

What is a Resident Assistant (RA)?

An RA is a talented student with a wealth of training, knowledge and experience to share with each student. RAs live in the residence halls with their residents and serve as role models promoting academic success, developing positive relationships, and educating students about their responsibilities within the College community. Resident Assistants respond to emergency situations and are responsible for enforcing College policies in the Residence Halls.

What is a Resident Director (RD)?

RDs are full-time professional live in staff members employed by the College and are responsible for the day-to-day operations of the residence halls. The Resident Director supervises a staff of Resident Assistants and has primary responsibility for the hall you live in.

When is move-in day?

Check the official Newbury College Academic Calendar for the most up-to-date information on all dates.

What paperwork is required before I move into the residence halls?

The following paperwork is required by all resident students prior to receiving their keys:
  1. Room and Board Contract - This contract is a legal document between you and Newbury College outlining residence hall policies and expectations. This contract is a full academic year contract. If a student is under 18 upon arrival a parent/guardian will be asked to co-sign.
  2. Emergency Contact Form - This form is used by the College to get in contact with your parent/guardian if an emergency situation arises.
  3. Health Immunization Form - This form is sent to all incoming students during the summer and is required to be submitted to the Office of Residence Life prior to move in. It is required by law that all students have their immunizations and immunization files up to date and on file with Newbury College.

When do the residence halls close?

Fall Semester Dates:
  • Thanksgiving Break - Residents must depart by 8:00 PM on Tuesday November 24, 2015. The residence halls will re-open 12:00 PM on Sunday, November 29, 2015.
  • Winter Break - Residents are required to depart campus 24 hours after their last final exam or by 8:00 PM on the last day of final exams, whichever comes first. The residence halls officially close on Friday, December 18, 2015 at 8:00 PM and all residents must vacate by that time. Residents returning for the spring semester may leave their belongings.
Spring Semester Dates:
  • Spring Break - dates will be published when available.
  • Spring Move Out - Residents are required to depart campus 24 hours after their last final exam or by 8:00 PM on the last day of final exams, whichever comes first.