In accordance with the Higher Education Re-authorization Act of 2008, this policy provides procedures for reporting, investigating and making emergency notifications regarding any currently enrolled Newbury College student who is believed to be missing.
A student is presumed to be missing when he or she is absent from Newbury College and/or has been reported missing by another individual without any known reason, or for reasons that are inconsistent with the student’s established patterns of behavior and cannot readily be explained. Before presuming that a person is missing, reasonable measures should be taken to determine whether or not the person is at their place of residence and whether or not anyone familiar with the person has seen or heard from the person recently or is aware of where they may be.
Other considerations may include:
- Suspicion that a criminal act is involved or that a student’s physical safety is in anger.
- Knowledge that the lack of a prescribed medicine may threaten the student’s health or life.
- Existence of a physical/mental disability indicating that the student’s physical safety is in danger.
- Public Safety Department 617-730-7160 (24-hours)
- Vice President for Student Affairs - Paul Martin 617-730-7155
- Dean of Student Affairs - Anne-Marie Kenney 617-730-7158
- Director of Residence Life - Jennifer Forry 617-713-5901
- Emergency Situations 911
Reporting and Investigating a Missing StudentAll reports of missing students made to Newbury College will be investigated by appropriate personnel under the coordination of the Director of Campus Safety. The assistance of the Brookline Police Department, or other appropriate law enforcement agencies, will be sought if such assistance is indicated by the initial investigation.
Emergency ContactA resident student is any student residing in a Newbury residence hall under a Newbury housing contract. All resident students are required to designate an emergency contact person as part of the check-in process to their residence hall.
Further, all enrolled students at Newbury College are requested to designate an emergency contact person at the time of registration. Only authorized Newbury College officials, as part of their responsibilities, and law enforcement officers, as part of their investigation, may have access to this information.