Peer Mentors serve to support and encourage new First Year and Transfer student success. Peer Mentors lead mentees through their Nighthawk Welcome Experience (Move-in and First weekend experiences) and help new students throughout the academic year. Through one-on-one and group meetings, Peer Mentors will be a knowledgeable guide for new students, a thoughtful facilitator who provides access to people and resources and ultimately a role model and advocate.
ResponsibilitiesServe as an energetic and enthusiastic volunteer to help first-year students succeed at Newbury
Develop and maintain relationships with and provide assistance and support for first-year students (focus on a smooth transition, acclimation, and a sense of belonging)
Serve as a resource for students new to the College
Help facilitate and encourage attendance to all FYE programs
Participate in training, programs and activities
Attend group meetings
Serve as a positive role model
QualificationsBe a rising sophomore, junior or senior
Be in good academic and student conduct standing
Commit to being a Newbury student throughout the fall and spring semesters
Be willing to learn and share information about the Newbury College community, student life, and campus resources
Demonstrate good interpersonal and communication skills
Have a genuine desire to help their peers succeed
Demonstrate leadership potential
Be self-motivated with a positive attitude
Display a willingness to learn about different cultures
BenefitsPeer mentors have the opportunity to:
Build close relationships with new students
Develop leadership skills
Guide new students through their first-year
Peer Mentor Roles and Responsibilities
The Role of a Peer Mentor
- A knowledgeable guide for new students.
- A thoughtful facilitator who provides access to people and resources.
- A role model and advocate
Specific Responsibilities of a Peer Mentor
- Participation in spring training sessions and week-long training prior to the start of the fall semester.
- Be available to support FYE programming. All Peer Mentors should be available during Activities Period (Tuesday and Thursday from 12:45pm-2:10pm) for programs and one on one meeting.
- Participation in ongoing in-service trainings each semester. (See calendar of required events/activities)
Mentor and Educator:
- Participate in social media interactions (Facebook) with new students during summer.
- Maintain regular contact with new students.
- Work both independently and as part of a team with fellow Peer Mentors.
- Attend and participate in all training sessions and group meetings.
- Understand and abide by all Newbury College policies.
- Serve as a positive social and academic role-model.
- Educate new students about various resources and student services available at Newbury.
- Maintain confidentiality with any shared information.
- Coordinate and facilitate social and educational programs as desired or needed.
- Participate in formal evaluations and assessments of the program.
- Meet individually with the Dean of Students to discuss new student concerns, as needed.
- Participate in and complete all other tasks deemed necessary by the Dean of Student Success.
Important Peer Mentor Dates
|Peer Mentor important dates to know:|
|Spring training – |
if selected, you must attend the training session
|May 10, 2017 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM|
May 11, 2017 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
|Welcome Mentee Outreach||June through August|
|Nighthawk Welcome Training Move-in||Saturday, August 19, 2017 by 12:00 PM|
|Peer Mentor Training||Sunday, August 20 to Wenesday, August 23, 2017|
|New Student Move-in Day||Thursday, August 24, 2017|
|Nighthawk Welcome Kick-off and Convocation||Friday, August 25, 2017|
|Nighthawk Welcome Weekend||Saturday, August 26, 2017|
Sunday, August 27, 2017
|First Day of Class||Monday, August 28, 2017|
|*** Peer mentors are expected to be available during|
activity periods to support FYE programming and
group/one-on-one meetings with mentees.