The Mitton House is considered by many to be the Grand Dame of the buildings on Newbury College’s campus with its graceful Georgian Revival design, but few know of its famous inhabitants and history.
Built in 1893, The Mitton House was designed by architect William Peters for Mrs. Josephine Gay, wife of Frederick Gay, a Boston merchant. Located on the estate of Francis Fisher, in what is now the historical Fisher Hill district of Brookline, the House was completed in 1896.
In 1919, George W. Mitton, President of famed Jordan Marsh Department Stores, purchased the House from the Gay Family. In the following 38 years that the Mitton family lived in the house, they made numerous additions and renovations, including the addition of twin sun-rooms that flank the home’s back patio.
Eventually, the Archbishop of Boston, Cardinal Richard Cushing, acquired the Mitton House for the Catholic Archdiocese. The Mitton House was then turned into a home for the Sisters of the Holy Cross, with the surrounding area becoming Cardinal Cushing College in 1957. Cardinal Cushing College was short-lived, resulting in closure by the Catholic Archdiocese in 1972.
Newbury College acquired the Mitton House and its surrounding educational buildings in 1982, and now functions as a residence hall and college offices. With the generous donation from the Board of Trustees Chairman, David Weltman, the Mitton House’s dining room was renovated in 1999 and renamed to the Lois and David Weltman Dining Room; a student run and supported open-to-the-public dining room, as part of the College’s hospitality and culinary arts programs.