Academic Program Mission Statement:
Health care management is one of the fastest growing industries in the United States and one of the largest according to the Department of Labor and Statistics. Access to quality health care is essential to society. The health care management field involves the planning, delivery and promotion of medical services across a diverse population. The Health care management degree provides students with skills in leadership, organizing, directing and coordinating the delivery of health care services. Students and faculty model the type of working relationships needed for the ever changing health care industry. The Bachelor of Science in Health Care Management prepares students to enter a variety of challenging and growing careers within hospitals, clinics, medical offices and insurance companies through a current and creative curriculum followed by a required internship.
Program Student Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate knowledge of self, society and the delivery of health care services.
- Demonstrate comprehensive professional knowledge of health care management, including marketing, finance, insurance and policies and regulations.
- Thoughtfully access and analyze information and to make sound management decisions.
- Communicate effectively through an awareness of the physical, emotional, cultural and economic factors impacting health care patients and those working within the health care industry.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the influence of cultural diversity and the broader community on decisions affecting health care delivery and coordination.
- Demonstrate an awareness of ethical behavior and knowledge of the legal aspects of health care administration when confronted with decisions affecting the of health care organization.
Recommended Course Sequencing:
Please see course descriptions for prerequisites. All courses are 3 credits unless otherwise indicated.
AC101 Principles of Financial Accounting
AC102 Principles of Managerial Accounting
CS117 Applications and Presentations or CS118 Spreadsheets and Introduction to Databases *
EN105 Advanced English Composition *
EN206 Introduction to Literature
HA102 Principles of Health Care Management
HU100 Foundations of the Liberal Arts **
MH201 College Algebra *
Humanities or Psychology or Social Science Elective
AC204 Principles of Finance
HA215 Medical Law and Ethics
HA240 Introduction to Epidemiology
HU103 World Civilization
HU135 World Religions or HU152 Introduction to Philosophy
MK105 Principles of Marketing
MN201 Human Resources Management
MN208 Business Communications
SC110 Understanding the Human Body (4 credits)
HA203 Health Care Economics
HA302 Marketing for Health Care Organizations
HA305 Financial Management for Health Care Organizations
HA307 Health Care Delivery Systems
SS305 Global Issues
200-level (or higher) Humanities or Psychology or Social Science Elective
200-level (or higher) Literature Elective
HA400 Senior Seminar in Health Care
HA425 Health Care Regulation, Policy and Politics
HA499 Health Care Internship or HA498 Bachelor Thesis
MN405 Strategic Management
MN421 Operations Management
Health Care Management Electives (2)
200-level (or higher) Electives (2)
Total Credits Required For Graduation: 121
* by placement
** If you have 15 or more accepted transfer credits, you may replace HU100 with an Arts and Science elective.